CABOOSE ROOF COLOR

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jul 17 16:32:39 EDT 2019

Gentlemen - as I work on my Laserkit (#864) and GloorCraft (Kit #312) I seek your advice on the correct color of the caboose roof.  Research into the fine works by Jim Nichols (N&W In Color) and (N&W Color Guide to Freight and Psngr Equipment) reveals that most were painted black (eg 518259, 562620, 559354) but #518265 and 562723 and 557775 appear to be red.  Further complicating matters is that #559011 is some "maroon" color but this could just be the effect of rising / setting sun.  LaserKit (American Model Builders) says "roof was initially painted brown but black soon replaced that color".  GloorCraft says "the entire caboose except the handrails can be painted with Floquil R20 CABOOSE RED".

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Ed Svitil
Member #0317 N&W Historical Society