K1 vs K2 cab w/ and w/o streamlining

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Jul 6 22:05:49 EDT 2019

Mike,
The K-1 class as originally built had cabs with square or flat front cabs and much smaller rounded sand domes. When they were "modernized" they received the sloped cab and the square sand domes as well as some other changes like sheathed fireboxes and bigger tenders. A huge improvement in looks to me. They were/are my favorite 4-8-2's.
The Bowser model more closely resembles the K-2/K-2a as built with their square cabs. As far as I know they didn't get the sloped cabs until they were streamlined.
Sloped cabs became more popular after the war as they allowed better access for firebox maintenance as I've read and been told. I like their looks much better too.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works