DP Blues

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Apr 20 15:21:05 EDT 2019

I believe I have most of the facts correct, and I welcome correction.
DP was in discussions with us for years about a brass VGN PA. (and a three
car passenger set)
There was a minor issue as to which version they should do.
We put out the word and suggested that people make reservations.
I seem to recall that DP figured they'd need 30 reservations to run the
locomotive.  The tiny handful of reservations led them to believe that
there was not a market for 30 $1,700 Virginian Pacifics. I would be very
reluctant to argue with that. (the passenger set would have run about $900
for the set; the way brass passenger cars are going I suspect that would be
a lot more now).

Observation: it has been noted for several decades that brass
collectors/modelers see some correlation between the number of wheels and
the price they're willing to pay for a brass steam locomotive.  It's easier
to market and sell a $2,000 articulated than a $2,000 Mikado, generally.
Rarity and quality enter into the discussion, but I would still suspect
that a $1,700 4-6-2,  (probably more now)that is correct for one railroad
would be difficult economically.  Yes, Overland did a (wonderful)MB, but
the railroad had a stack of those, and only 5 (IIRC)Pacifics.

I'm sure someone would like to point out the number of times the PRR S-2
has been done, or even the Jawn, but that's a different discussion.

Frank Bongiovanni