EXTERNAL: Re: Union Terminal Imports Pulman 10-6 Sleeping Car Project

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Apr 17 13:20:55 EDT 2019

Eric,
First and foremost I have never said anything detrimental about Howard. I know Howard and respect, admire and relish his knowledge, experience and huge skills at modeling and with brass. Howard has himself said he feels brass is an art. I'm aware of his magnificent layout and know his locomotives and much rolling stock is brass. I know he's quite the operator and believer in running his brass as well. That was never doubted or did I ever say anything negative about that aspect of Howard.
I HAVE NEVER ACCUSED HIM OF ANYTHING! I don't know how you can say I accused him of anything. I merely said what he has said and posted in the MR forums and elsewhere. Please don't start up any threads like that about me. I LIKE Howard and his opinion matters to me. George Kohs is a respected and honorable guy in the same mold. I own none of his products but have seen, admired and drooled over them. Another "class act" in the hobby.
Yes, the hobby has gotten expensive. Fortunately it's a hobby and we have the option of buying or not.  I buy a lot of brass. My first brass engine was a PFM Ma&Pa Heavy 2-8-0 #43 at $84.50. I was in the Navy and made $104 a month. That was a huge purchase for me...................but I wanted it with a wild passion! I don't buy brass cars normally, freight or passenger,because I don't like the weight and often poor running qualities they possess. That's just my preference. If you want an $841 10-6.........then more power to you but I'll pass. I don't condemn anyone who's in that place in his quest for modeling. I just don't have enough interest in passenger trains to go the whole hog with working diaphragms, lighting, full interiors and incorrect paint jobs. I prefer to spend my money on brass locomotives but I do go far enough to want a matching and accurate caboose for each one.
I have worked with importers over the years and have found most to not care if they are doing things accurately. That's MY experience...........I'm not condemning anyone just saying what I have experienced. One importer was going to bring in a set of engines that were very similar but each unique in its own right. When pointed out the differences he told me "it doesn't matter as they will buy them anyway". Well after a lot of discussion he finally did them as individually detailed engines and they sold like crazy and bring large prices on feebay and other places. That's just one instance. I sometimes think they (importers and manufacturers of plastic stuff) don't know much and don't research before committing to a project. Just ask and you will get the info you need.
Importers have the right to price their products where they need to even if that seems high or too high to us. They DO have to make a profit and after being in the hobby on both sides of the counter for over 55 years I have to say I know quite a few very wealthy folks in the business and modelers..........and none of them made that money by making and selling hobby items though as far as I know. Like I said about my first brass engine it cost most of my monthly salary but looking at it now my monthly income is considerably more than $104 every month. Everything is expensive but it's all in what you want. If one chooses to be part of your 5% and buy these cars then good for you! I'm glad to see these products and to see someone who wants them. I hope all the importers break even, or better, make a profit while making modelers smile.
I think what we need is for more plastic companies to offer needed items. The general consensus is the high cost of research/development/manufacturing plastic cars prevents making a profit. I think that's bunk! How, then, can so many different manufacturers produce F-7A units, RS-3's, USRA Mikes, Challengers and Pig Boys over and over again? Where are the other needed items? The trend is limited production runs of everything so why not a limited run of N&W M 4-8-0's to just point out one example?
Anyway, enough on this subject. Buy 'em if you want 'em and leave them on the shelves if you don't want to spend the bucks. Enjoy the hobby and whine into your pillows if you can't take it!
Just don't misunderstand what I said and misquote me, please!
My 2¢
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works