EXTERNAL: E-units - Southern practice

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Apr 11 11:14:38 EDT 2019

Ed … I started out the same way as you.  Had Instamatic camera with 120 film, then tried the pocket 110 which was a disaster.  I started bagging groceries in a local Publix at age 15 and used the first $200, which took a while making just $2.10hr, to buy a Honeywell/Pentax 35mm with 55mm lens at Britt’s department store in Ft. Lauderdale in 1976.  Fortunately, the guy behind the counter was knowledgeable about cameras and strongly urged me to stick with Kodachrome and Kodak processing (not necessarily bought from him).  I never wavered from that except occasional trips that required Ektachrome for low light.  All of those slides still look like I shot them yesterday.  It was more important for me to take quality pictures for modeling purposes (FEC and SCL) than to get a driver’s license.  I could go anywhere I wanted on my bike or city bus which took me directly to the SCL station from my house.  Never needed to worry about being robbed or hassled at that time … I was just a high schooler with a camera around my neck.  I wouldn’t try that today!

Occasionally, I’ve mused with a local railfan friend about “what if” scenario where we could go back in time to 1 date and region for a week’s visit but take today’s digital cameras with us.  I’d pick Sept-Oct ’57 and hang out between Roanoke, Lynchburg and Monroe.  K-2a’s on local pax trains were about to reach the end of service, a rare Z-1b could be seen on a MOW train or local and diesels hadn’t overwhelmed steam.  J’s still powered the main trains, including running to Monroe but that was about to end.  The 1957 NRHS convention would be the crowning goal for the trip.  October on Blue Ridge is also a great time for Fall colors.  Of course, I’d have to “rent” a ’57 Chevy Bel Air for the trip, too!  Now if someone would develop The Way Back Machine …. hmmmm.

Jim King

 <http://www.smokymountainmodelworks.com/> www.smokymountainmodelworks.com