E-units - Southern practice

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Apr 9 20:28:01 EDT 2019

Jim

That consist leaving Bristol looks a lot like 45 leaving Roanoke headed
to Bristol in the fall of 1960.  Or the way it was supposed to look like.

That day I was out taking some photos and decided to drive by the
station.  That was about 3 in the afternoon and no passenger trains were
due.  There were a number of people waiting on the platform so I decided
to see what was up.  Turns out 45 was over an hour late due to
problems.  There was a truck from the roundhouse and several mechanics
in the crowd to meet the train.

It finally arrived over an hour late.  The fireman was hanging out the
door of E-7 2909 and smoke was coming out the door. Really an awful smell.

The engineer and fireman took to ground as soon as it stopped. The men
from the roundhouse boarded and went to work inspecting the 2909.  Some
minutes later a RS-11 was coming down the main line.  It was N&W RS-11
352.  The 2909 was isolated and the job was turned over to 352 to handle
the train with the help of the second unit an E-8.  Did not record the
number of that one.

Two toots and 45 was headed to Bristol with the RS-11 352, E7 2909 dead
and the E-8.

When it got to the Railway Express Building the crossing was clear and
gates down.  The engineer gave her more throttle.  What a sound that
little diesel made leaving town.  One that I will always remember.. I do
not remember the names of the engineer and fireman but know they were
glade to get out of that rough riding cab at Bristol.

Photo attached of 352 and 45 leaving town fall of 1960.

Jim Blackstock