E-units - Southern practice

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Apr 9 15:20:53 EDT 2019

Interesting collection of head end equipment on the 2912 slide.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

    On Tuesday, April 9, 2019, 2:15:22 PM CDT, NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

Southern did this … usually an E-7 or E-8 and either F-3a or FP-7.  Fairly common practice in the ‘60s.  Attached is a pic of an E-7 with FP-7 in 1966 (I think Train 42 was the northbound Pelican) and a pic of another northbound at Bristol about to hand off to the N&W.  The 2nd unit is an F-7.  I also have a pic of the Crescent in Mississippi with 3 E-8s and an FP-7 as 2nd unit.

Didn’t RF&P run E-8s in freight service lashups on an irregular basis?

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com