PRR Geeps on N&W

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Mar 22 18:21:01 EDT 2019

Thanks, Ken.  Just what I need.

Jim King

 <http://www.smokymountainmodelworks.com/> www.smokymountainmodelworks.com

From: NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:38 PM
To: NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: Re: PRR Geeps on N&W

Jim:

Here is the list from the equipment ledger in the archives:

Ken Miller

On Mar 21, 2019, at 11:01 AM, NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org <mailto:nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> > wrote:

As a follow up to recent threads re: PRR GP9 7200-29 leased to N&W late 57 to mid-1958, I found this on line:

7185-7229

--

24217-24261

11-12/57

It indicates that the 30 assigned to N&W were the last 30 in this series.  I can’t find a 7200-series Athearn GP9 on ebay now but did find 7184 and was thinking about renumbering it to a 7200-something.  If someone has a 7200-series Athearn Genesis GP9 with DCC/sound to sell, please let me know.  I think 7203 and 7211 were imported by them.

I also am looking at the Athearn Geeps lettered CR (Phase 2 and 3) with the idea that just a little effort is required to remove the lettering and road number, modify the MU stands and letter N&W with the end shields (“targets”).  Radio antenna and horns also need replacing.  Is this a logical approach?  I know the skirting above the tanks may be a little different but I’m mainly after the basic appearance without having to strip the body and repaint.

The Phase 2’s would have steam-style lettering and no end shields in my modeling era of 1957-59.  The Phase 3 will represent newly-delivered engine in 1959 with the end shields.  Once completed, I’ll have a 3-unit Geep consist with the PRR engine in the middle.

 <mailto:NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org> NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org
To change your subscription go to
 <http://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-modeling-list> http://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-modeling-list
Browse the NW-Modeling-List archives at