EXTERNAL: RE: Bored with steam

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Feb 22 18:31:45 EST 2019

Brent:

I, too, was fascinated by this question, since Baldwin-Westinghouse made both the LC-2 and the EL-3a's, and not all that far apart in time.  One issue with the LC-1's was their long rigid wheelbase, which was required by the centrally located jack-shaft.  Both the LC-2 and the EL-3a configurations fixed that problem.

Anyway, I bought a set of LC-2 plans from the Archives, to compare with a set of EL-3a plans I had.  I have attached the results as a .pdf file (2 pages).  If the Moderator can't pass on the .pdf file, he hereby has my permission to send you my personal contact info.  Send me your email address, and I will send you the file.

At the bottom line, you'd have to extend the lead axel frame by 5.5" (the trailing axel locations seem to be the same), and the driver diameters will be too small by 1".  The spacings of the jackshaft and all drivers are the same.  I haven't got a clue what mods would be required to an Alco models frame, but I am very damn certain I wouldn't want to try modifying an OMI frame from one of their EL-3a models-- those are immense pains in the butt to begin with.

If we go in for two Alco models EL-3a sets (to make 3 LC-2 sets), I'd take either 2 or 4 of the locos at either 1/3 or 2/3 the total cost-- your pick.  I'd then like to buy either two or four of your bodies when you get them printed!

-Eric Bott