Bored with steam

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Feb 21 22:42:03 EST 2019

There is a face book page for N&W modelers with some excellent photos and models posted to the site.

Some one on the site posted a survey of era or eras that members are modeling with the 70s-80s era being most actively modeled.

The survey got me to think about the era that I model. Having modeled the steam era so many years, I thought how far the variety of models

have advanced. To say the least VERY LITTLE N&W steam models have become available to fill the void of needed models (except for brass) of 0-8-0’s, K’s, Z’s,

Y3a’s, Y4’s, Y5’s, Y6’s, Y6a’s, M’s, E’s, and so on! After 35+ years and very little RTR models available, I have abandoned steam and also moved to the 70’s-80’s era.

So much is available that I can model with so much more locomotive power ( I get tired of just seeing and running a J, Y6b, A, and a Y3 over and over).

Yes I know that there are early diesels, but I need more than a small handful of steam.

Besides, what about all the things that can be done with diesels, that could be done with steam – Lighted marker lights front and rear, lighted cab lights, stoker lights, ashpan lights, etc.

I know some scales even have steam coming out of the whistle when blown. When will we see new steam models or are there enough to support steam anymore?

Just some thoughts -just bored with steam.

Stephen Rineair