EXTERNAL: Re: Selling personal items via the list

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Nov 2 11:13:22 EDT 2018

Todd:

I’m hoping that the BOD will decide to facilitate an on-line “exchange” for member-owned items.  My main reason is that I would expect more knowledgeable sellers and buyers of N&W and VGN items, and potentially rarer, more interesting items than might be offered on eBay, and no “commission take” from either end—to everyone’s benefit.  And, if I ever sell a N&W or VGN item, I’d like Society members to have first shot at buying it.

I don’t think that this market should be made via email or in the quarterly newsletter, though.  Rather, I suggest an on-line forum along the lines of the Brass Collectors and Operators Group on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/BrassCollect/.  The ~2250 folks who use this group are WAY more knowledgeable than the average person operating in the HO Brass arena on eBay.  By this, I mean that there are no dim bulbs trying to sell a $1500 brass engine “untested”, or with the admonition that “the photos are part of the description”, both of which are tantamount to “I don’t know what I have or am doing, so the burden of discovery is entirely on you, buyer”.  Also, buyers are sophisticated enough to not test an HO loco on 110VAC power, and then try to file a claim for an inoperative model.

I have bought several brass locos from people offering them in this forum, total value well over $3000.  Offers are ad-hoc, via a self-formatted facebook entry, with contact between prospective buyer and seller happening off-line.  Buyers keeping up with the facebook stream notice the offers, and contact the buyers via phone or email, off the facebook stream.  Details of individual deals are therefore private.  The deals that I have been involved in were very beneficial both ways because no 3rd party fees were involved, and so a reasonable price was struck where both parties got a benefit.  And I’ve made several extremely knowledgeable friends with whom I’d do business again on a handshake, or collaborate in a modeling venture.

The downside of this forum is that there is no security blanket, if one party to a deal is not dealing in good faith.  A fair part of the eBay fee structure constitutes an “insurance policy” to the buyer, just as a broker’s fee does.  In the case of N&WHS, if enrollment into the facebook buy/sell forum was limited to Society members (entirely possible, on the Facebook platform), then anybody not dealing in good faith would instantly develop an in-Society reputation that would also spread instantly; this wouldn’t help the first “stung” trading partner, but would give rise to a pretty daunting ostracism of a bad actor and discourage (or simply make impossible) 2nd malfeasances.  The Society could publish grading guidelines for models in various categories (brass motive power, brass rolling stock; same for plastic; unfinished kits; etc) to reduce possibility of mis-communications.  But the Society would not take financial responsibility for the integrity of a deal, nor issue sanctions against a bad-faith trader.

Look, I don’t want to receive 2,000 unsolicited emails per year offering N&W and VGN models.  Nor do I think it’s a good use of Society resources to typosit classified ads in the quarterly newsletter for member models offered for sale—and without photos, the ads would only be a means of first contact anyway.  Worse, bad actors could go undetected for years without the possibility of open feedback that is characteristic of these methods.  In contrast, I have seen a fairly lively ad hoc market in brass models appear in the Brass Collectors and Operators Group on Facebook (where extensive photo coverage of a model is easily accommodated), and I haven’t noticed anybody post-facto claiming injury in a deal on this site—which would be a very easy thing to do in a very public manner via the Facebook mechanism.  The likelihood of public exposure and ostracism seems to be promoting good trading behavior there, and I think it would operate even more powerfully in a private N&WHS trading forum on Facebook.

And who knows—maybe the modeler’s forum should move entirely to a Facebook platform—goodness knows that moderating the current email forum must take a lot of time and effort that I suspect would be entirely unnecessary on a Facebook platform.  The problem of repudiation of one’s input to the forum would be moot; there is no such thing as an anonymous post.  Truly egregious (e.g., racist or trolling) posts could precipitate ejection from the forum or the Society, while everything else could be policed by shared social values and consensus social pressure.

-Eric Bott