Caboose in Commissary

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Jul 27 13:39:15 EDT 2018

Hi Eric. I used the recommended detail kit and trucks suggested in the instructions. I think both are noted in the forum thread I linked earlier.

If I recall, I ended up significantly re-bending the grab irons supplied in the details kit - I may have used only the ladder as-is (other than cutting it to fit).

Trucks were from Eastern Car Works - I’ve preordered new trucks from Spring Mills that I may eventually replace the ECW trucks with.

Most of my grabs were formed from .0125” brass wire; a nice compromise between scale size forgiving “bendability” and ruggedness. I think phosphor bronze would have worked fine as well, though it is more brittle when making right-angle bends, and doesn’t put up with straightening/rebending.  I made the corner posts from music wire - I’ll have to check the thread to be sure, but memory says it was .032”. Brass would have been too soft for that span; PB wire would have worked. Wire for corner posts is supplied with the kit, but it’s not long enough to extend through the end sill to form the downspouts for all four corners.

Make sure you weight the model before permanently attaching the body to the floor. I didn’t - and even with some retrofits, it’s still a bit too light.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile