FW: PAINT QUESTION

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jul 24 09:02:00 EDT 2018

Dave

Historically model manufacturers have been subject to having the plant in China use whatever paint the plant uses, not color, but paint type. When the company's artist specifies paint color they want used on their paint and lettering diagrams, they will typically include a Pantone color, Fed Spec ID #, drift card or something of the like.

When Plano Models first offered etched metal walkways for the Intermountain NSC 4550 cf Cylindrical Hopper, I had a friend who was the production manager at IMRC and I asked him for some touch up paint or the paint code for what the factory used and he said that I would have to buy Chinese paints sourced from the factory as he didn't have any of the original paint on hand.

That being said, ScaleTrains is the first model manufacturer to use hobbyist avaliable paints from TruColor in their plant in China. When the owners of ScaleTrains created the company, they wanted for us modelers to be able to use readily available paints that were an exact match to their models, without having to custom blend paint colors. This was a common complaint they experienced while at their previous employer.

So while Athearn's response maybe deemed non-responsive, it is truthful, even if under explained.

Regards
Russ Goodwin
Oakwood, GA

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5