Scale Trains SD40-2

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Jul 7 10:54:04 EDT 2018

John,

NS C39-8 #8613 was techically the last GE motor bought and assigned NW sublettering, which was delivered in full NS paint. The EMD SD50S #6505 was the last EMD delivered in full NW lettering, which was the block NW. GE C36-7 #8530 was the last GE delivered in full NW lettering, which was the spelled out Norfolk and Western F7 scheme.

The SD50S, as well as KCS's SD40X's, were EMD's demo units for the SD50 model. Those demo units were built on SD40-2 frames, but look like an SD50. The KCS SD40X's should not be confused with the original SD40X demo units that were SD40 demo units that EMD built on SD35 frames, all of which UP bought, and at least one ended up on the current rendition of the Wheeling and Lake Erie. Some of those actually had flared radiators similar to the subsequent SD45.

No standard production SD50 or SD60's were assigned NW sublettering, and the same with GE C40-8's, as the were assigned to the Southern or a Southern subsidiary.

Regards
Russ Goodwin
Oakwood, GA

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5