EXTERNAL: Re: Tender numbering and assignments

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun May 27 09:39:45 EDT 2018

Jim:

Thank you!  I have a copy of that book, but didn’t recall the tender treatise.  Mr. French clearly knocked it out of the park on this topic.  With all the tender-swapping the N&W did, I’m guessing that they had the foresight to make engine footplates the same height on most classes from ~1910 on.

But you had me worried on another front.  I recently purchased a Westside model of an E-3, in no small part because the PRR K-3 looks vastly cooler with the larger tender included with the Westside model than it ever did in PRR trim.  Not knowing much about N&W tenders, I tried to figure out which one the model’s is, and had concluded it was a 16000 gal tender, but I had to do a lot of inferencing from Archive materials shown on the NWHS web pages to arrive at that conclusion.  Now that I’m looking at page 53 of French’s book, I think the model (which measures ~39’2” buffer-to-buffer) best matches the 15K tenders being used with the M-2’s in 1955.  It’s clearly too long to be one of the 12K tenders.

I feel pretty comfortable using any of the 1500xx numbers that French shows assigned to the M-2’s.  Thanks to you, at least 2/3 of the tender road numerals on my model will be 100% accurate, and maybe nobody will be able to gainsay my choice of the other two numerals--  at least until somebody replicates French’s tender research for the 1935-1939 era.  Now I can proceed with laying out the custom decals for this model.

BTW, the Westside model is pretty nice.  It runs well, seems to match available photos decently, and has decent backhead detail for its model production era.

Thanks again, Jim—the French reference is a huge help!!!

Best Regards,

-Eric Bott