Brass N&W Class Y-1 2-8-8-2 in HO Scale

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon May 15 11:47:01 EDT 2017

Thanks for broaching the X-1 with Fred.  It would be great if he produced one.  His Y-1 is a magnificent model even if the prototype didn’t prove too be a very successful operating locomotive.  The X-1’s remained in service longer and were somewhat more successful.  Per Bud’s book, N&W Giant of Steam, the purchase of both the Y-1’s from Baldwin (built 1910 all retired by 1924) and the X-1’s from ALCO (built 1910 all retired by 1934) were likely for experimental and testing purposes.  Later when an X-1 was tested against a borrowed C&O compound 2-6-6-2, class H-2, Bud notes that the H-2 ran circles around the X-1.  The test lead to N&W’s large purchase of 2-6-6-2 / Z Class locomotives that were similar the C&O’s H-2.  As we know the Z-class locomotives proved to be a great success on the N&W and led to N&Ws’ own design and fabrication of the Y-2 compound 2-8-8-2 in 1918.

Thanks again Bill.

Ed Painter - from Narrows, VA living in Cohutta, GA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10