I think I found my answer

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Oct 1 21:37:21 EDT 2016

On the N&W, tenders were given separate numbers, and never carried engine numbers. This enabled the tenders to be exchanged between engines if it was felt necessary. The tenders also had their separate classes as well. The tenders used behind the Y6b were classed as I.
Lois J.Ponton
N&W steam historian

Sent on a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® III