Alco Models "Jawn Henry" on eBay

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Sep 10 07:03:07 EDT 2016

I took a relook on my Jawn, I used the 2 side prong universal joint. The
ball joints were just too big. Lots of shortening, cutting / filing to
fit. I put a -small- dab of superglue to hold them on the shafts, never
over use it or it may get into the washers.

I also ended up reversing 2 of the trucks to get the gear towers to fit
so the towers were centralized and didnt move around much which keeps
the main power shafts from floating around too far.

I tried 2 small can motors directly mounted to the tower gears but just
too much (too little) side room for the body for the motor to move
around. It ran, but body off, body on, nope. Why I went single motor,
moving the gear towers.

The body is -Live power- shorting to the tender, so I isolated the frame
using modded kadee coupler boxes, it works! I had to isolate it because
of DCC as well.

I had to do some frame modding to get the towers to work and at a
sharper radius. Brass aficiandos would go WHOA!!! but had to be done.
It took me about 4 months of tedious work to try/fail/try/success this
project.
All this chat on the Jawn is making me give it some running workevers
and recheck it out. Thew engine is what I call a HUGE brick when it runs.

N&W used it in pusher work and one story was pushing a train it  smashed
the caboose into the train. They cut the Jawn in before the caboose
later after this. The engine was a powerhouse and was really a success
except for some technical repair issues, so it just really didnt work out.

-Lynn-

On 9/6/2016 1:37 AM, nw-modeling-list-request at nwhs.org wrote:
> [...]

---