Odd Tender

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Aug 2 22:04:15 EDT 2016

It is not made from two USRA tenders (that was Mason's guess, but the details are not USRA). My guess is that it is an enlongated version of what we fans call the "N&W 12," which was built with some Y2's and K1's. Apparently an experiment, which was not duplicated, and I have no idea what became of it. One of the features of the N&W 12 as built was that it had no separate underframe, the frame members being integral with the cistern. Apparently this didn't work out well, as all the N&W 12's were retrofitted with cast steel underframes a few years later. They also had unusual front steps, which were also replaced a few years later. If you look closely at the photo, you will see that this tender has both features of the as built N&W 12(and the lewis/pilcher trucks).I rest my case.
Jim Nichols