55T Hopper Question

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jul 24 13:05:13 EDT 2016

All,

Recently I’ve become aware of the Bowser “Fishbelly” hopper painted for the N&W.  I have a couple of questions about it:

Is this the same kit that Stewart used to produce?  Photos I’ve seen on eBay suggest they are
I assume that the N&W never had this particular car (it’s lettered as a class HL) is this correct?
Would this model be appropriate for 1938-1940 time frame?

On the Accurail USRA front:

Accurail has two N&W paint schemes; one with a smaller “N&W” and horizontal lines above and below the car number, and a second with a larger N&W and no lines over/under the car number.  My understanding is that the smaller lettering is earlier.  When did this change take place?
Are there accurate decals for my era would be a good fit on both the Bowser / Accurail models?

My modeling “style” leans toward prototype modeling, but I’ve long since decided that I’m content with USRA and other generic models that were around (somewhere) during my modeling era.  I like the idea of having non-homogenous trains of cars as every photo I’ve seen from the thirties show quite the smorgasbord of cars in N&W trains.  I think mixing Bowser and Accurail would help give this mix of looks; with reasonably accurate lettering, I’m content that the look would be reasonably convincing.

Any other input on other workable hoppers is welcome (I do have two resin kits, as of yet unbuilt).

Matt