VGN H-14 redux

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue May 10 12:35:40 EDT 2016

When the MDC triple 70-ton hopper was first produced in a VGN version it had the familiar packed lettering of the 55-ton VGN hoppers. While this lettering would have been correct for the early H5 VGN 70-ton hoppers in their later life it was not correct for the H14 at any time.  I went out into the then N&W south yard (former VGN) in Roanoke and measured the lettering on the H-14s there and sent a drawing of the lettering and some photos to MDC. It was from this information that the MDC VGN H14's were produced. Yes, I knew at the time that the MDC cars were not correct for the H14s but they were as close as you could get at the time, i.e. 1970s.  Harold Davenport