Westerfield Gon

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Apr 6 16:52:45 EDT 2016

Rob,

Ah ! Thanks for the link to the 1919 Car Cyclopedia pdf. Unfortunately it is not as well scanned as a lot of other old industry books, but sure better then nothing :)

Now that I know the year, I found that a lot those big hopper pages also showed up in Train Shed Cyclopedia  #35 (1919). That must be where I got the info to do my NPP brass VGN 120ton hopper brake system !  Now that I see that all these cars seem to have different arrangements.

FYI for Frank:  the #5 (1940), #48 (1931), and #62 (1925) Train Shed Cyclopedias all have a picture and diagram of the C&O 100 ton (really 91ton) gondola, including the asymmetrical brake system, among other interesting hoppers.

Dave A