LC-1, LC-2, EL-1a, or EL-3a Sound Files

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Dec 11 10:47:39 EST 2015

I have a couple of NJCB LC-1 sets, OMI and ALCO EL-3a sets and EL-1a units, a couple of Railworks DD-1 sets, and a NJCB "Big Liz" that I would like to add DCC/sound to.  I have been through every DCC manufacturer web site around the world that I can think of to find factory-installed sound files that would reasonably represent a large AC-motored, heavy electric locomotive with side-rod clank.  No joy, except as noted below.

If this interest seems weird to you, then I recommend you get a copy of Herron Rail's Pocahontas Glory Vol 6--  if it still seems weird, go serenely back to your Mollies, confident that you have walked on the wild side and know better now.

I'm wondering if any of the Modeling List folks out there have already developed a decent sound file for LC-1 or EL-3a?  If so, for which decoder brand?

Does anybody out there have experience with modifying the sound files on a decoder of any brand/type?

Has anybody tried to put sound cams on the NJCB LC-1 or OMI or ALCO EL-3a's?

Let me note that the GG-1 sound files readily available out there provide great representations of sounds of heavy electrics with multiple small DC motors and quill drives-very apt for most of the NH electrics, MILW EP-3 and ES-2, B&M Hoosac Tunnel motors; not bad for the PRR B, FF, L, O, PP, and R1 motors, for CUT/NYC P motors, for MILW EF-4/CSS&SB Little Joes, GN W1, Y1 and Z1, NYC T-motors, and PRR E-2b, E-2c, E-3b and E-44; better than nothing for NYC S motors and MILW EP-2.  But the GG-1 sound files don't do justice to the large AC-motored heavy electrics, and of course don't have any siderod clank feature.

The closest thing I have found are the ESU sound files for the Swiss Ce 6/8 Krokodil motors, having 4 (unfortunately) large AC motors, siderods, and a good variety of additional sound effects.  But, Oh My, the Europeans have no sense at all for a throaty air horn, so using the ESU Ce 6/8 sound files as-is is a non-starter.

And the d*** ESU Lokprogrammer is $164, plus a $24 USB cable at Tony's Train Exchange, compared to $71 for a Digitrax PR3XTRA programmer, cable included, from Tony's, or $90 list price for a QSI Quantum Programmer.

I would much rather go the QSI route, since that would allow me to program some of the decoders I already have installed on some steam locos, but would consider the others in desperation.

I would appreciate any advice or insight!

Thank you,

-Eric Bott