Planning Mill

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Oct 2 08:43:12 EDT 2015

On 10/1/2015 9:28 PM, NW Modeling List via NW-Modeling-List wrote:
> My question is: How can this fellow create a planing mill such that
> other modelers would clearly recognize it as a planing mill? Don't all
> the fresh wood working sites look more or less the same (with that big
> round blade, often hidden)?
Bob,
     I think your complete dissertation is trying to make a mountain out
of a mole hill.
How is one able to tell that a house is a single family residence or a
Bed & Breakfast or Half-Way house? How is one able to differentiate
between a Grocery store and a Clothing store?
One way to determine if a building is a planing mill would be to have a
thorough knowledge of the lumber business. Just as one would look at a
railroad facility to determine what is the locomotive shop and what is
the car shop, etc. I'm sure that there are hobbyists that model the
lumber industry and know how a lumber yard is laid out and they can
determine what a building is supposed to be.
Another way to determine what a building might be is to look inside. The
type of machines inside a building would determine if it is a planing
mill or a saw mill.
Another, and more obvious way, is to just read the sign on the building.
Nothing wrong with putting a proper "Planing Mill" sign on the building.

'nough said,
Jimmy Lisle