LC 2 model

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri May 8 08:31:39 EDT 2015

Kurt:

Thank you!  A set of these would be a welcome find-- neither brasstrains dot com nor the Brass Guide print version admits there was such a model, but you've set me on a mission!

The NJCB LC-1 sets are pretty decent, with fair detail, good paint, good assembly, and very good pulling power.  They run quite well, and have plenty of room for DCC if you're into that.

And although I haven't gone this route, I understand that ESU has sound decoders that include the typical siderod "clank" sound (with independently adjustable volume, allowing you to simulate "newly shopped" or "egged out" rod ends) along with all the typical blower and other sounds of heavy electrics.  (The Eurpoeans were big on side-rod driven electrics; it would be nice if Soundtraxx or QSI would make siderod sound files available in a heavy electric suite of sounds.)  You'd have to add a cam to an axle on each engine set of each cab to sync the siderod sound.  And the drawbar deserves attention by modelers who like better detail in that kind of thing.

But it would give a sense of accomplishment to run a train with an LC-1 set pushing, and an LC-2 set or two pulling, product through old Elkhorn.

I wonder whether new bodies and roofs on a VGN EL-3a pair would be a reasonable representation of an LC-2 set...

-Eric Bott