Doubleheading Y's

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 10 17:27:43 EST 2015

Referencing a caption on a photo on page 29 of the revised version of Col. Jeffries' book "N&W: Giant of Steam" as many as three Y6's could run on a train at "Raitt Hill" on the Pocahontas Division. I believe this to be two in front and one as pusher, and as I've read, were most often used on eastbound coal runs. I'll allow others to comment on this subject, but such operation would be possible with the Rivarossi Y6b. With the latter runs with their scale flanges and improved motors (as I have observed with my late-1990's run 2174) precision slow speed operation is possible.
Lois J.Ponton
N&W steam historian

Sent on a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® III

Actually, where were Y's doubleheaded and was that routinely or
occasionally?

Grant Carpenter
---