N0n brass As and Ys, N-Scale

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Feb 6 13:26:58 EST 2015

Joe:

Non-brass A and Y, N-Scale: To my knowledge no A in N-Scale has ever
appeared. One manufacturer some years ago offered to do a run, but
pre-production orders did not satisfy the manufacturer, so the project
was dropped.

The Y is another story. Roewa in the late '60s produced a Y6b, and when
that outfit disappeared in the '70s the dies were picked up by Rivarossi
for several runs through the '80s, and possibly into the early '90s.
Nothing since then. I think the Roewa-Rivarossi models are reasonably
accurate, although evaluating loco details is not up my alley. I have a
number converted to DCC and renumbered in Y6, Y6a and Y6b alike, which
in the scale you can get away with, unless you are an absolute purist.

Walthers (Heritage series) marketed in the '00s a Y3 manufactured in
China, DCC with optional sound. I have a number, really smooth
performers with excellent sound.

These Y3s and Y6s can be found on ebay without too much trouble. I see
them also, used, listed occasionally via N-Scale Supply.

Frank Gibson