Model reviews

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Jan 29 17:19:27 EST 2015

As we've stated recently, we are planning on putting some model reviews in
either the eTaf, or this list, or in the Arrow.  We plan to review either
models we have purchased for ourselves, or, subject to the requirement of
undergoing an objective review, any N&W or VGN model provided to us by
manufacturers or importers.  The details are still being worked out.  Some
of you expressed an interest in this, and some of us would like to do it in
our "spare" time.

Meanwhile, the Model Railroader that arrived today has a fairly
comprehensive review of the Rivarossi VGN AG 2-6-6-6, the model that
triggered this discussion a few months ago.  I strongly recommend this
review as it points out the model's good points and its flaws.  The
reviewer spelled out the things that bother me: the domes and the rear
engine swiveling, and the traction tires (the review did not say if there
are optional drivers without traction tires--which some of the
manufacturers and importers have provided).  The running characteristics
are noted as quite good, and they measure the pulling ability.  Each of us
potential purchasers has to balance the price/good stuff/bad stuff for
him/her self.

In any event, it's out there.  Enjoy.

Frank Bongiovanni