1776 question

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Sep 29 07:38:36 EDT 2014

Ed

The Southern did stuff bass-ackwards, so yes, the SD45's, as well as the 40's and 40-2's were built with the bell on the long hood end which was the front of the motor.

Regards
Russ Goodwin
Buford, GA

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

Nice to see Athearn coming out with more N&W SD-45's but I already have 7  -  3 NW blacks, 3 Pevler Blues and 1776.  Great models for the money.  I'm old enough to remember high hooding and super detailing Athearn's original wide body SD-45's beginning with cutting off the ends of the long hoods of Athearn GP-35's to fabricate the high short hoods.  Plastic models and models in general have come a long way since the 60's and 70's...................rnding the need for prototype modelers be real craftsmen.  With my vision and patience not being what it used to be that's not all bad...........

In looking at Athearn's information provided............why would the bell be mounted on the long hood?  That's the way the Southern did it but not the N&W.  Maybe Athearn should be contacted to see if it's a typo or an actual error in the upcoming models?  I have a couple of Athearn Southern HH SD-45's and this is where they located the bell "correctly" on them.......but as we know it wouldn't be right for N&W.

Ed Painter - born in Bluefield, from Narrows, VA, living in Dahlonega,GA