Another track centers question

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Aug 25 10:48:34 EDT 2014

Thanks Grant.  I appreciate the information.

Also thanks to everyone posting the RMC updates.  For years I have been getting most of my information from printed publications.  It still isn't clear to me how those will be replaced with on-line publications or what those on-line sites are; if they are out there already.  I have seen a lot of stuff on youtube and some sites, but to me they don't quite come up to the level of the edited articles that are in the magazines.

I find that it takes a lot more time to surf the net and filter the good from the bad on line.  Though I also suppose a lot of questionable information has been passed through the hobby publications over the years.

I am one that appreciates what editors have to do.  But I have also recently noticed that printed publications are starting to suffer in editing.  It used to be a point of pride in newspapers to get grammar and spelling correctly, but it seems like I am seeing an ever increasing number of mistakes.

I guess it comes from being old.

Bob Huston

---- NW Modeling List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
> In inches, for 1.5" (1:8) scale, K = 1000
>
> For Z scale, K is the same as in N scale, as any difference gets lost in
> rounding error.
>
> K only varies with scale, so any (narrow) gauge of the same scale would
> have the same value of K. The reverse is true for G; it has several
> scales for one gauge. For some context, this formula was derived from
> the prototype for determining main line track centers on curves,
> allowing for smokebox overhang. Other factors affecting centers may
> apply in G gauge and narrow gauge, and for tracks other than main line
> in any scale. For example, yard track centers might vary to allow more
> room for carmen. Ladder tracks, particularly parallel ladders, need
> wider spacing, but this too is driven by smokebox overhang on curves (in
> turnouts).
>
> Grant Carpenter

snip