Another track centers question

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Aug 24 12:34:53 EDT 2014

In inches, for 1.5" (1:8) scale, K = 1000

For Z scale, K is the same as in N scale, as any difference gets lost in
rounding error.

K only varies with scale, so any (narrow) gauge of the same scale would
have the same value of K. The reverse is true for G; it has several
scales for one gauge. For some context, this formula was derived from
the prototype for determining main line track centers on curves,
allowing for smokebox overhang. Other factors affecting centers may
apply in G gauge and narrow gauge, and for tracks other than main line
in any scale. For example, yard track centers might vary to allow more
room for carmen. Ladder tracks, particularly parallel ladders, need
wider spacing, but this too is driven by smokebox overhang on curves (in
turnouts).

Grant Carpenter
---