E2-A Whistle

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jul 7 23:46:08 EDT 2014

Hi,

This may not all be right, but I am trying to figure this out as well.

http://www.columbusrailroads.com/new/?menu=05Steam_Railroads&submenu=14Norfolk_%26_Western&submenu4=13Sounds_of_the_N%26W

This link has recordings.

If you did not hear back from anyone I have been researching it as well.
>From what I can tell the answer depends on your date.  At some point the
n&w had two types of hooters.  Long bell and short bell, the long were for
passenger locomotive's (this is the tsu's 1218 whistle)  At some point
between either receiving the usra 4-8-2 or when the first class j arrived,
the long bell became the freight whistle and the passenger locomotives got
the 3 chime Hancock long bell (the tsu's class j whistle).

David

I have 2 E2a Pacifics in Brass and am having Tsunami Sound decoders being
installed in them. Nt sure what whistle to select. Anyone have any Ideas? I
checked the "Medium Steam Whistle" from the TS-1000 decoder but would
welcome any thoughts on other modelers.

thanks

Jack White
jdwhite244 at aol.com