Tuscan color

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Jul 2 23:16:58 EDT 2014

Lee; what Ed is referring to is a "color flame war" that happens every time
N&W Tuscan Red or Pevlar Blue shows up on this list.  FWIW, this also
happens on the C&O list with Enchantment Blue, the C&O list and the NYC
list with shades of gray, and probably just about every other model
railroad list.

Hopefully someone who does a lot of painting, and is pleased with the
result, will tell you what mix works for them, and will nicely mention that
with lighting, etc. (the etc. is half a clinic)you may have to make
adjustments.  With that I can't help; tuff enough for us Virginian modelers
to settle on workable yellows and black.  One thing I can tell you, is that
Dr. Jim EuDaly (he's an eye doc, so this isn't fantasy)actually told us in
a clinic (at a C&O meet)that color actually varies a bit with scale, and (I
hope I got this right)you probably need a tad lighter mix than an HO
modeler would.  I can also tell you that your room lighting is probably one
of the most important factors.  I guess there's one other thing I should
mention because the more experienced painters consider it so obvious they
don't mention it: make sure the light where you paint is the same as the
light on the layout.

Frank Bongiovanni