Wiring Custom-Built Switches

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu May 8 21:12:11 EDT 2014

I have handlaid a LOT of switches including double slips and some oddballs.

I modded my frogmaking to using the straight rail thru the frog as my
frog on the end, I file the frog point there, the angle, my angle might
not even be perfectly accurate, its when you gauge the track you do some
tweaking.
I then make a notch on the frog rail a little past the frog on the
curved side portion (diverging) to insert the diverging rail which is
angle filed and laid into the frog rail. If you've done some hand laying
you will see what I mean.
It eliminates the split frog rail, I don't even solder fill.

But I like the Central Valley Switch kits, you get a cast made frog and
made up points that have detail, I have a module made with these, it was
practically required because no standard turnout would work on the module.

For cutting gaps, spike down securely the rails the gap is. You can use
epoxy to fill the gap, that will help secure them and keep them from
moving and will be insulated.

I have never used fast tracks, its a file, wire cutter, or rail nipper,
black permanent marker, NMRA Gauge, 2 needle nose pliers, and a vise.

For the points you want the points to remain the same polarity (side) as
the rail they touch, you will then cut a gap nearer to the frog, the
points might be rail-joined for the moving arc, this stops shorts, and
you use some switch machine electrical toggle to power the frog. This
was done on the club layout I was in back in the 80s...PRE-DCC, ran
perfectly.
Most turnouts on the layout were handlaid, having learned the lesson
from previous layouts, they WORKED.

-Lynn-