Homasote vs pink foam board

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu May 8 10:01:05 EDT 2014

Ross

Yes there is a sound issue with foam board if you apply it directly to
the framing. It creates a drum effect. However this can be diminished
by using 1/4" Luan plywood between the framing and the foam board. I
model narrow gauge and use 1/32" basswood for my roadbed and this cuts
the sound issue as well. Another method is to use Homabed, which is
available but expensive or cork for you roadbed.

Larry Smith