Wiring Custom-Built Switches

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu May 8 09:30:55 EDT 2014

I agree that using Fast Tracks filing aids and soldering templates
significantly improves the quality of hand-built switches. My question is
about wiring custom-built switches. Like many articles I have read, I fill
the frog/closure rail area with solder and then file grooves. I have been
cutting gaps in both closure rails and just beyond the frog and then
power-routing the frog. I am concerned that cutting these gaps increases
the possibility of miss-alignment of the rails. Has anyone had problems
with shorts between stock rails and closure rails using DCC? Is a slightly
wider gap between the closure and stock rail adequate to prevent a short?

Gordon Todd

Omaha, NE

gltodd at cox.net