Homasote vs pink foam board (NW Modeling List)

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed May 7 14:15:17 EDT 2014

A few more thoughts. I have been using Homasote for years, and have had
excellent luck with it. (yes; it's findable online, but it is tougher than
it used to be). Admitedly I'm using it between plywood and Tru Scale
subroadbed (I'm a dinosaur; that's another discussion), so the sound
insulation is more of a factor than spike holding (which is, as Gerard
says, excellent; experience on other layouts). Yep; dusk mask helps. But
what really helps is using the knife (untoothed)blade in your jigsaw.

And, from what I've learned from others: for our purposes, if there's a
difference between the blue foam and the pink foam, we aren't sure what it
is. For fastening the foam, Liquid Nails is very good, BUT, there are (at
least)two varieties of Liquid Nails. One attacks the foamboard like mad;
get the other one.

Frank Bongiovanni