F8 Scheme lettering

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Apr 14 20:38:40 EDT 2014

John

My apologies for taking so long, but here is what was on my drawings, which I finally had time to look for tonight.

See below for notes, hope this will help

Ken Miller

On Mar 31, 2014, at 5:47 PM, NW Modeling List wrote:

> Hi List,

> I have questions about the last N&W paint scheme F8 (NORFOLK AND WESTERN) spelled out. I couldn’t find in the 2nd gen diesel book as to when the F8 scheme was started being used.

> 1. From when to when was F8 being applied?

Drawings 38-D-115 titled Stenciling and Painting, applies to EMD Switching locomotives, SW1, NW2, SW7, SW8, SW9, and SW 1200. Dated February 16, 1982.

Drawings 38-D-114 titled Stenciling and Painting, applies to all EMD 6 axle locomotives (except for SD9). Dated January 12, 1982.

> 2. Were the nose NW and the “AND” 12” tall instead of the 15”

The heralds were 12 inches, the "AND", while shown smaller and appearing to be 12 inches, is not specified as such, but references the 15 inch letters.

The switchers were specified as 15 inch numbers, 10 inch lettering, and I assume an 8 inch "AND". I think I have the full size drawings of the lettering somewhere, but have not seen it in a long time.

> 3. The book says that some units had 15” tall “AND” instead of 12” tall.

My recollection is that is correct but I had stopped taking a lot of photos by then.

> 4. Did N&W have more than one paint shop and was that where the different sized “AND’s” came from?

I believe units were painted at Bellevue and Decatur as well as Roanoke at the time.