Starting point for HO N&W SD40

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 19 21:37:12 EST 2014

I have five of the Athearn SD40s that were purchased in 2008 and 2009. The
dates on the dealer price tags indicate they stocked them in 2006, which
fits with the Athearn "Road Diesel Collection" catalog, copyright 2007.
They were produced in B&O, C&O, WM, and Chessie (the roadnames I have). Also
CB&Q, BN, BNSF, CN, CP, CNJ, C&NW, Clinchfield, CR, IC, MRL, MPI Leasing,
NdeM, PRR, SF, SP, and UP.

All of mine run fine, and the detailing on them looks good to me - separate
grab irons, fan blades, bodies with or without brake ratchet, two styles of
truck/brake details, fours sizes of fuel tanks, dynamic or non-dynamic brake
housing, but, as is normal with Athearn models, no drop steps. All are low
hood of course.

Finding a model that has been out of production for eight years may not be
easy, but knowing what roadnames were released may steer you
(geographically) in the right direction.

Dick Dunford
Blacksburg, VA