No love for the W class?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jan 6 08:09:29 EST 2014

Northwest Shortline did a W2 about 1980 or so in brass, I painted one up and it looked OK to me, I did not put a scale ruler on them to see about accurate or not.

The Ws were quickly supplanted as a mainline freight locomotive fairly quickly with more powerful power and, if I recall correctly, a large number of them were scrapped in the 1930s, with a handful hanging around until the arrival of the S1 in 1950. The 917 is the sole survivor that was in the scrapyard at Roanoke until sold to be a display piece at a restaurant in Ohio a few years back.

The reason the G1 received attention later was they survived in service until 1955 and two were preserved, one at Roanoke and one at Bluefield, there is also a G at Saltville.

Ken Miller