Advice and counsel - color of steam connector

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Aug 23 15:44:47 EDT 2013

Courtesy of a timely "what would you like for your birthday" question from
my wife, I have recently become the proud owner of the MTH Powhatan Arrow
train set. The first thing that leaped out at me was the bright silver
color of the steam connector assemblies, possibly emulating the asbestos (?)
insulated wrapping in its as-built state. It just doesn't look right.

I've researched available color pictures, and not surprisingly any that
even show the steam connector are in-service pictures, and everything down
there is a pretty uniform gray-brown-black color.

So, my question is, what was the actual as-delivered color of this
assembly? Obviously, they wouldn't have stayed that way long. My tentative
thinking is to paint them Floquil grimy black, which is actually a dark gray;
any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Phelps