Paint color - Blue

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri May 31 07:45:19 EDT 2013

James;

On the now defunct Atlas Forum and his own diesel detailer forum this topic has been discussed as well, Andy Harmon uses several different shades of blue for modelling. Medium blue, B&O Enchantment blue and either of those lightened with white to suit would work well. Richard Shell has the original paint ID # and may respond with it. The issue with the real paint that was used, as according to Andy, is that "it started fading as soon as it left the paint shop." Andy models the N&W in northern Ohio during the Pevler Blue era and has done extensive research on the motors wearing this color. He has not been able to find consistent colors even from photos taken in the same time period, same region similar paint dates, etc, etc, etc....

I do recall seeing initial photos of the 8103 when it was released from Altoona and it didn't look quite right, at least to me, but as it was in service and has flattened out and weathered it looks much more appropriate.

Regards,
Russ Goodwin
Buford, GA