UH-OH

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jan 13 18:44:27 EST 2013

You can make a swing pivot device, I do this a lot. If your turnouts are
glued down, no problem.
As long as you have the throwbars in place.

This is under the layout mounting of the machine.

Get some music wire, many hobby stores or hardware stores may have this.
Or heck try a welding outlet.
The brass tubing that the wire fits thru snugly.
Drill a hole the size for the tubing thats snug, not loose, hammer the
tube through (cut to length so it extends below) pound it down to tie
height.
Needle nose bend the end of the wire, check fit to the turnout to the
brass tube (things will make sense as you work here you may be modding
this concept about to circumstances you have)
note/mark the point where the wire reaches the tube, and 90 degree bend
it down.
Feed the wire down, connect to turnout. Go underneath and bend the wire
perpendicular to the machine (its throwbar connection)
This secures the wire in place and it will not fall out etc.
You can clip the wire some length leaving enough to make another
mechanical connection to the machine.
Now with another wire, hook it to the machine and lead it to the
"underthrowbar",
you can make a loop at the end to fit on either or both wires, be sure
you "middle"
the turnout and machine first.
Loop/fit the wires so they connect, manually run the machine back and
forth making sure it throws the turnout fully, the wire should force a
little further than the turnout "springing", thats the key.
Theres trial and error, if the wires don't work right off, cut them and
try again with new wire. Plenty of tweaking possible here, bending,
adjusting, you will get the idea down.

-Lynn-

On 1/13/2013 12:00 PM, nw-modeling-list-request at nwhs.org wrote:

> Message: 1

> Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:50:26 -0500

> From: NW Modeling List<nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>

> Subject: UH-OH

> To: NW Modeling<nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org>

> And just when I was so proud of myself for finishing the trackwork I went to install my tortise switch machines. Only the directions (and some youtube videos) say to "drill a 3/8" hole FROM THE TOP" to install. Please don't tell me that I have to rip up all those switches...is there a way to work around the inability to plan ahead?

> Ed Svitil

> Norfolk & Western Railway

-----
No virus found in this message.