Atlas O to make N&W caboose

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Nov 29 09:10:26 EST 2012

Jimmy
My experience with large locos (I have an mth 2rail y6b) is that I can't put enough cars behind them in my garage layout to make them look like they are needed. I have a 22x21' garage with a continuous loop on the lower level and a branch line upper deck. If I put 40 cars behind the y6b it begins to look like its chasing it's caboose.
Guess that's the trade off for the nice size. If I had a 40' long basement I'm sure I would think otherwise. For now though, I'm happier to operate small steam and small trains. (12 cars and a caboose, 20 cars if I double head the hill)

Tom Lewis