E-3 Whistle?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Oct 23 08:56:51 EDT 2012

All photos I can find indicate that the E3's had standard N&W passenger whistles of the prewar era, i.e., the well-known "hooter" whistle of more modern times (12" bell).  They were apparently mounted on the same bolt pattern as PRR's whistles, at a slight angle crosswise on the back of the steam dome.  So they would sound like a Y6, A, and most others in the N&W freight family, but NOT like a PRR K4 or N&W J/K2..

Dave Stephenson