Class K1 Dome HO

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Apr 21 21:11:40 EDT 2012

It is not too hard to scratch build one from sheet styrene, since all four sides
are basically flat. You will have to roll the top, sand or file the edges to a
slight rounded shape and add sand hatches. Also notice that the shape changed a
little when the K1's were "modernized," but at least two of them kept the
earlier shape (which was closer to the contour of the skyline casings on the J
and the K2's. Because of this sand dome, we thought at the time that they
planned to streamline the K1's as well. As it turned out, they were not
streamlined, but they did get cab window sashes which were just like the
streamliners.)

Jim Nichols