Signals and Traffic Control

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Feb 7 08:34:16 EST 2012

Good Morning,

I am working a 1950 n&w layout that will either be on the Shenandoah
Division or the Christiansburg District. I have come to the point of
planning my signals and i am finding it hard to find data on what signal
systems were installed where.

So here is the question: On the Shenandoah Division, what type of control
over trains was used in 1950? ABP, ABS, CTC? How would the N&W signal a
mainline with a passing siding? I have seen many photos, but cannot find
them from the 1950's to figure out what types they would use (Signal
bridges....bracketed towers). Same question for the Christiansburg
District.

Any resources that the group could point me to would be awesome also!

Thanks

David