Southern Express Company

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jan 2 21:37:04 EST 2012

I seem to recall there was a drawing of this monogram among the archives collection.  It may have been considered a "sketch" rather than a stenciling diagram.  Maybe Charlie S. knows more about this.

The photo of the 117 on page 92 of Roseman's Railway Express: An Overview is accompanied by this caption:  "Norfolk & Western express car #117, lettered for Southern Express Company, which also served the Southern Railway, Atlantic Coast Line and Mobile & Ohio Railroad.  Southern Express later became Southeastern Expresss and in 1938 was merged into REA."

On page 7 of the book, information is given that when the federal government took control of the railroads during WWI, several express companies (Great Northern Express, Northern Express, Western Express, Adams Express, American Express, Wells Fargo, and Southern Express) were merged in the American Railway Express Co.  Eventually, in 1929, 69 railroads organized the Railway Express Agency which purchased the American Railway Express Co. on March 1, 1929.  Only the Southeastern Express Co., organized by Southern Ry. in 1921 remained independent until it was bought by REA in 1938.

Jim Brewer

Glenwood MD