Roundhouse Virginian No. 307 C-10 Caboose question

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Dec 18 22:44:36 EST 2011

Hello N&W Modeling List,

I have a question about a Roundhouse caboose that I have. Perhaps someone out there can help me identify what it is and where it came from?

The box is a perfectly normal Roundhouse “Quality HO-Scale Kit” that says on the end of the box “Roundhouse Virginian No. 307 C-10 Caboose Limited Edition Commemorative Model” and also has hand-written in what is sort of like gold leaf ink “39 of 50.”

The caboose itself is an exceptionally nicely painted red w/ black roof plastic model with decals that reflect what the end of the box says. Looks like glass windows and Kadee or Kadee-like couplers. The plastic trucks seem a bit inappropriate. On the bottom of the caboose is “39” in the same gold leaf ink. There is also the usual sheet of Roundhouse assembly instructions. However, I never assembled this caboose; it came assembled. Just who assembled and decaled this caboose for me?

There is a “Certificate of Authenticity” that says “This is No. 39 of 50 limited edition caboose models built to commemorate the Virginian Railway Caboose No. 307 Museum in Mullens, West Virginia. October 2001.”

Can anyone out there shed some light on what this is and where it came from beyond what I have already shared in the foregoing message?

If somehow this an off-list sort of question, please respond directly to saxonii at cfl.rr.com.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry P.