N&W H-30?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Nov 6 23:33:30 EST 2011

I am a bit confused by your reference to class. A covered hopper class would
begin with HC (not just H). Do you mean HC30? At any rate, a covered hopper in
MofW service would properly be painted dark green. The only covered hoppers to
be painted black that I know of were the HC11's, which were modified H34's. The
covered hoppers in Mof W service were HC4's and HC54's (ex Wabash cars). I do
have a picture of an HC4 on page 115 of the Color Guide which appears to be
black, but my guess is that it is weathered green. I have no information on
whether any HC30's (ex NKP cars) ever went to MofW, but in regular service N&W
would have painted them gray. I hope this helps.   Jim Nichols